Learn how to assist a co-worker who is developing a mental health problem or who may be experiencing a mental health crisis.
Designed for workplaces that require increased flexibility in the delivery of training for their staff members, the Blended Mental Health First Aid in the Workplace course is a combination of online (eLearning) and a half day of follow-on face-to-face training.
The course teaches managers, supervisors and individuals how to assist a co-worker who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. However course participants will learn mental health first aid skills that can be applied to help any adult. Course content is tailored to the workplace setting using case-studies, videos and resources tailored to their learning needs.
Course participants first complete the interactive self-paced eLearning component that presents an overview of mental health problems and mental health crises. The follow-on face-to-face training allows participants the opportunity to revise and consolidate skills in a group environment, and to address mental health problems in the workplace in more depth.
Developing mental health problems covered:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe psychotic states
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- Aggressive behaviours.
The 2 x 2.5 hr face-to-face session covers
The face-to-face component is designed to be delivered after participants have completed the eLearning MHFA in the Workplace Course.
In this face-to-face training, the focus is on the revision and application of knowledge and skills learnt in the eLearning component, providing participants with the opportunity to:
- Examine issues pertinent to mental health problems in the workplace in more depth
- Clarify any points of uncertainty remaining after completion of the eLearning modules
- Apply the MHFA Action Plan to relevant workplace scenarios
- Discuss and reflect ‘a where to from now’ in using mental health first aid skills in the workplace.
Further information for workplaces
We have put together a handy info sheet with information on:
- Why MHFA is suitable training for workplaces
- How MHFA training differs from other workplace mental health training
- Flexible training options available, pricing, and how to enrol
Download the info sheet here: